To start a conversation with a customer via the WhatsApp Business API, you can use a WhatsApp template. This is a pre-approved message you need to submit and has to be approved by Meta before you are able to send it to a customer. Keep WhatsApp’s conditions in mind, when creating a new WhatsApp template.
WhatsApp Template Explained
Because it is not possible to start a WhatsApp conversation via the WhatsApp Business API by typing a message, and a conversation via the WhatsApp Business API gets closed 24 hours after the last inbound message, WhatsApp templates can help you to show initiative and keep in touch with your customers.
A handy example of a WhatsApp template could read as follows: ‘Oops! We were unable to answer your question in time. If you still want an answer from us, please respond with a thumb (👍) to this message! We will answer your question as soon as possible.’
ℹ️ We've compiled more than 50 WhatsApp template examples for you in this spreadsheet.
Adding a WhatsApp Template
If you’d like to submit a WhatsApp template in Trengo, follow the steps below.
1. Navigate to Settings > Channels > WhatsApp Business > Manage Templates
2. Click ‘New Template’ and fill in the required details;
- Template Name : Give the template a recognizable name.
- Channel: Choose for which channel you’d like to use this template.
- Category: Choose Marketing or Utilities
- Language: Select the language the template is in.
3. Header: Optionally add a header to your WhatsApp template.
UPDATE: for channels under Trengo BSP, you will be able to add image in your header.
You can follow the steps below:
Once you scroll down you will see a sub-section where you can upload your image as a header:
- Make sure that your image is smaller than 20Mb in JPEG or PNG
- Your image will be cut out if you don't follow the 1.91:1 image ratio
- Ensure that the image also follows: 1125px by 600px
4. Body: Type the message the template should contain. Don’t forget you can add variables, to make your message more personal.
5. Footer: Optionally add a footer to your WhatsApp template.
6. Buttons: Click the toggle button to create up to three quick reply buttons your customers can use to answer your WhatsApp template immediately.
ℹ️ Do note you can only use headers, footers, and buttons when your WhatsApp Business Solution Provider (BSP) is Trengo. In case you want to make use of buttons, but your WhatsApp Business API (WABA) is connected to another BSP, you can migrate your channel at the earliest.
Click 'Submit for WhatsApp Approval’ to send your template in for review by Meta.
WhatsApp Template Review
Once you have submitted your WhatsApp Template, Meta will review it. They either accept or reject your Template.
✅ When your Template is approved, your colleagues can immediately use templates to actively approach customers via WhatsApp in Trengo.
❌ In case your Template gets rejected, please review your latest submission, and check for any issues that could cause the rejection. Always keep the WhatsApp Commerce Policy in mind.
ℹ️ Be aware that additional costs are associated with the use of WhatsApp Templates. For an accurate and up-to-date overview, please see our explanation about WhatsApp’s conversation-based pricing. Secondly, Meta occasionally will have an ongoing experiment. If you notice that the messages aren't sent to a customer, one of the possible reasons is that they are a part of the experiment so you may contact them through other communication avenues. For more information, you can access it here.