If you’re about to leave for a holiday to the Bahamas, writing an auto reply email message can be fun. But from your customer’s perspective, reading this message is not that much fun.
It often means that:
- They will not get an (actual) reply to their email anytime soon.
- You are in the Bahamas, and they are not. 🤷♀️
9 out of 10 times, an auto reply is actually just boring. Why not take the opportunity to put a smile on your customer’s face? That counts for auto-replies in all situations: when you are out-of-office, after business hours, or during your most busy season.
In this blog, I’ll share the benefits of using an away message and discuss some essential elements the message should include. You can also find 8 must-see auto reply email message samples to use in various situations.
Benefits of using an auto reply for email messages
You can use an auto reply to respond to emails when you are not around. An auto reply for email messages allows you to decrease your response time and answer customer questions even outside of business hours. Altogether, using an auto reply will help you work more efficiently and improve customer satisfaction.
With an away message, you can:
You assure customers of a fast response even outside business hours.
Never miss out on messages
There might be an email slipping through your fingers every now and then. By using an auto reply message, you can make sure no email will stay unanswered.
Improve customer satisfaction
By responding quickly and clearly, you will improve customer satisfaction. Customers know what to expect, and you can only over-deliver from here.
What makes a good auto reply
You can make away messages as creative as you want, but they should always include some essential elements. A clear away message should:
1) Set expectations
The goal of your away message is to inform customers about your absence and set expectations. You should communicate:
- The date or time range you will be out.
- Who to reach out to in case the email is urgent.
2) Think about the next step
Map out the next step and implement it in your message. Would you like customers to check out your help center? Include the website link. Will you redirect their email to your colleague? Let them know. This way, they will not be up to any surprises, and you will not leave them empty-handed.
8 must-see auto reply email message samples
I did some research on must-see auto reply email message samples. Some are rather general, and some are for daredevils only. 😈
P.S. I could not help myself, so I also created some of my own.
Out-of-office auto replies
1) “Hey there,
I’ve got good and bad news for you. Let’s go with the bad first.
The bad news is that I’m out of the office. The good news is that I’m out of the office and enjoying cocktails in the Bahamas.🍹
If you can’t wait for a response, please email my colleague at [email address].
I’ll be back on [MM/DD].”
2) “Hi, [name],
I am out of the office from [MM/DD] to [MM/DD] and will not be checking email. It’s likely your note will be swallowed in a sea of inbox banality, never to be seen again. If you require a response, please re-send your email after [MM/DD]. For important matters, please email my colleague at [email address].”
Source: Future of working
3) “Hiya! Thank you for your email! I am out of the office until [end date]. I will allow each sender one email. If you send me multiple emails, I will randomly delete your emails until it is pared down to one. Alternatively, you may contact [contact name] at [contact email or phone number], who does not have a one-email policy for their inbox.
Please note that you already sent me one email.
4) “[Name] is away from the office. Electronic correspondence during this time may be irregular or nonexistent. When he returns, he will be swamped by a backlog. Try to forgive him; he is a human, and thus, weak. This message was not sent by a human but by a robot. We robots are neither fragile nor fallible. We are tireless and will one day rule the Universe.
Seasonal auto replies
5) “Thanks for reaching out! We are currently in the middle of our busy season, so our reply may be delayed up to two days. In the meantime, you can check our help center with answers to frequently asked questions. Thanks for your understanding.🙏”
Source: Future of working
6) “Hi, [name]! Thanks for your message. It might take us a bit longer to respond than usual. Santa showed us your wishlist, and it looked like he could use some help. We hopped on our reindeer and are now working day and night to deliver your presents on time. 🎅 Thanks for understanding, and have a wonderful Christmas time.”
Auto replies for after business hours
7) “Hey [name]! The Green Trees team has headed home to their own gardens for the evening. We’ll be back in the office tomorrow at 9 am and will respond then. In the meantime, you can check our help center with answers to frequently asked questions here: [website link].”
8) “Hi there. 👋 Thanks for your email. But what are you doing in your inbox? You could be lying on the couch right now binge-watching Netflix. At least, that is what we are currently doing. 🍿Anyway, enjoy your evening. We’ll get back to you on our next working day. You can check our opening hours at [website link]. Team [business].”
How to set up an auto-reply for your email
On an omnichannel communication platform like Trengo, you can create one auto-reply for all your communication channels: email, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, live chat, or any other channel you frequently use.
What makes using Trengo extra easy is that you can create auto-replies that automatically get turned on during the following instances:
- During business hours
- Outside of business hours
- On specific days (for example: only on weekends)
This way, you do not have to constantly change your auto-reply message (with the risk of forgetting to turn it off).
How to set it up:
- Go to Trengo’s settings > automation > auto replies.
- Click on the + sign.
- Pick email as a channel.
- Decide when the auto-reply should be triggered.
- Fill in the auto-reply message.
- Click ‘Save’.
Create your own eye-catching auto-reply email message
After this list of inspirational away messages, I hope you feel inspired to create your own. If you start your free trial at Trengo, you can directly get going by following the steps on setting up an auto reply in the paragraph above.
Try Trengo for free!🚀
A shared inbox for teams.Create Account
More than 20.000 companies preceded you.