How to set up Business messages for Google Maps
Imagine strolling around in a city with your friend, seeking a nice place to have dinner. You open Google Maps to check for nearby restaurants. Bingo! You've found a sushi restaurant and it's only a 5-minute walk from here.
Now, before you start walking in that direction, it might be a good idea to check if they have a table for two. You send them a message right inside of Google Maps to make a reservation and receive a fast response. Within 10 minutes, you and your friend are enjoying your first salmon maki. 🍣
In this blog, I'll explain how Google Maps Business Messages can benefit your business and how you can start using it today.
What are Google Maps Business Messages?
When someone searches for the location of your business on Google Maps, they get the opportunity to start a chat via Business Messages. This allows you to help people find their way to your store and answer questions even before they arrive.
Why you should use Google Maps Business Messages
Google Maps Business Messages will help you boost your sales, increase customer satisfaction, and work more efficiently.
Reach a lot more people
People tend to use Google Maps as a search engine. For example, when I plan a city trip, I use Google Maps to search for hotels at a specific location. If I'm then also able to make a reservation via chat, my experience is complete.
Since Google Business Messages will not require people to download an app or create a separate account, you reach many more people. Every person that opens Google Maps can immediately start a chat.
A seamless customer journey
Let's take the sushi experience as an example. You started searching for a restaurant in Google Maps, found a nice place but still had questions. Instead of browsing their website or searching on social media, you could ask your question right where you found them.
With Google Business Messages for Maps, customers will not need to switch to another channel to get in touch with your business. Until you step into their restaurant, your entire customer journey takes place in Google Maps.
Reduce the number of incoming calls
Before, Google Maps offered but one way for customers to contact your business: by phone. But now, the messaging button may look more tempting.
Google Maps Business Messages will reduce the number of phone calls and increase incoming chats.
Tip: you can collect these chats in Trengo and create an overview of all incoming support queries.
Inspiring examples of Google Maps Business Messages
When you start communicating via Google Maps, you will soon discover that many questions require the same answers. With Google Business welcome messages, you can automate the process of sending a standardized response.
Here are some of my favorite welcome messages for Google Maps.
1. "Hi there, thanks for contacting us. Because of an unexpected rush, it may take us a while to get back to you here. But you are more than welcome in our physical store at [address] from [openingshours]. 🏬 Hope to see you there!"
2. "Hi! 👋 Thanks for your message. We will get back to you within 2 hours. Would you like to visit [business name]? Please make a reservation here: [website link]. We hope to see you soon!"
3. "Hello! Thanks for contacting us. We'd love to help you right away, but our support team has some catching up to do. 📫 If you walk by our store, we can answer your question directly. Otherwise, we will answer your questions within 24 hours."
4. "Hi, you! Thanks for your message. We'll answer your question within 2 hours. 🙏 Are you in the neighborhood? Our store is open until 6 pm. Chances are, our team can answer your question in 10 minutes. Feel free to come by!"
Check these 14 Best Google’s Business Welcome Messages for more inspiration.
How to set up Google Maps Messages
There are two ways you can set up Business Messages for Google Maps.
1. Via the Application
Google Business Messages only works via an Android phone or tablet. If you want to use it on your PC, I highly recommend using an omnichannel communication platform such as Trengo.
The advantages of using the Google My Business App
- Receive notifications from incoming messages
- Send automated welcome messages
- Share pictures with customers
- People that own or manage the Google My Business account can answer questions
How to set up Business Messages for Google Maps
1. Go to your Google Maps app
2. Click on Updates > Messages > Business
3. Click on settings and turn on messaging
2. Integrate Business Messages with Trengo
In Trengo, you can manage Google Business Messages together with WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, email, Voice, live chat, and many more channels in one platform. Trengo allows you to manage conversations efficiently using collaboration and automation tools.
The advantages of using Google Business Messages via Trengo:
- Receive notifications from incoming messages
- Use automated welcome messages, quick replies, and chatbot
- Share photos and videos with customers
- Work together on Google Business Messages with up to 2000 users
- Manage conversations from both your desktop and mobile app
- Work for both iOS and Android mobile apps.
How to set up Business Messages for Google Maps in Trengo
1. Start a free trial at Trengo
2. Navigate to settings → Google Business Messages
3. Fill in the required information at Brand and Agent settings
4. Set up conversation entry points *
*you have to enable physical location to use Business Messages on Google Maps
5. Test, verify and launch your agent
6. Verify and launch your location
Start with Business messages for Google Maps
Hopefully, this article gave you some guidance on how to set up Business messages for Google Maps. If you would like to learn more about using Google Business Messages for your business, you can read one of the following articles:
How to use Google Business Messages
How to use Chatbots for Google Business Messages